DIY PROJECT:PAPER CAPIZ SHELL CHANDELIER
- hanging planter basket
- white spray paint
- 1-2 rolls wax paper
- 2 big pieces of parchment paper
- hot glue gun & glue sticks
- circle cutter (i didn’t have any luck with a “punch”)
- cutting mat
1. spray paint your planter basket. let dry.
2. start making the capiz shells. lay out the two pieces of parchment paper on your ironing board or on a clean dish towel on the floor or table. (if you use your floor or table, just make sure it wont be damaged by the heat of the iron)
3. cut three pieces of wax paper about the same length. mine were about 18”. sandwich the three pieces of wax paper between the parchment paper. the parchment paper allows the wax to stay within the layers of paper, helps it stick together, and gives the wax paper a smooth finished surface.
4. iron the paper sandwich on a low setting. remove the layered wax paper from between the parchment, and repeat.
5. set the circle cutter to cut 2 ½ inch circles. with the circle cutter, cut circles from the layered wax paper on your cutting mat. it helps to tape the wax paper down tothe mat.
6. cut ribbon pieces and attach the ribbon to the planter basket. the length of the ribbon will depend on the method of attachment to the basket… (single or double strand). my lengths were between 7 (single) and 16 inches (doubled). you can attach them to the basket either by hot gluing the end of a single strand to the basket wire, or by folding the ribbon in half, and creating a knot over the wire. start at the bottom, and work your way up.
7. once you finish one tier of ribbon, attach the capiz shells to the ribbon with a tiny dot of hot glue near the top of each shell. i alternated two and three shells on each ribbon and only attached shells to every other ribbon. overlap the shells by about ¼”. finish an entire lower tier, then move on to the next higher tier.
8. once you cover the hanging basket you are done! you can attach a simple bulb of you want this to be a source of light. hang in your desired location, stand back and admire.